INTRO TO PROFESSIONAL & SCIENTIFIC SCUBA DIVING WITH NAUI OPEN WATER CERTIFICATION
Instructor: Giorgio Caramanna | Professional Diver
Professional diving covers a wide range of fields, from science to applied technology to fish-farming. This introductory course will provide basic learning skills for future applications in professional training as a scientific diver, commercial diver or recreational diving instructor.
Training will be through a combined series of lectures, practical activities in confined water, and final dives in open water. The curricula is based on the same standards and quality of information provided to the professional scientific divers as recognized by the American Academy of Underwater Sciences (AAUS).
Students who complete the course and pass the end exam will receive an Open Water Certification endorsed by NAUI (National Association of Underwater Instructors) that is one of the oldest and most respected diving organizations in the world.
4 weeks | Saturdays & Sundays | 9am-5pm | Sep 11-Oct 3 | HYBRID | $675 + rentals & materials
Course times are 9am-5pm unless otherwise specified during the course.
- September 11 (Saturday) Day 1 of theory (online or in person)
- September 12 (Sunday) Water day 1 (YMCA or confined waters) no SCUBA gear needed (it is a swim. skin-diving day only)
- September 18 (Saturday) Day 2 theory (online or in person)
- Septembre 19 (Sunday) Water day 2 (YMCA or confined waters) SCUBA gear needed
- September 25 (Saturday) Day 3 theory (online or in person)
- September 26 (Sunday) Water day 3 (Open water in the ocean) SCUBA gear needed
- October 2 (Saturday) Water day 4 (Open water in the ocean) SCUBA gear needed
- October 3 (Sunday) Extra day if needed (can be both theory or open water)
Overall there are 2 days at the YMCA for 2 hours each. If the YMCA is not available (for any reason) this training is feasible from the shore in what is called “confined waters” that is a shallow and protected area (as example Inkwell). The YMCA/confined water days must precede the open water dives.
The SCUBA gear is needed for 3 days and is available to rent through local retailers. Cost of the class does not cover rental cost.
The theory can be done online or in person (some of the NAUI training is online at the student’s own pace, they will get a link and instructions). If needed, we can invert theory days and water days (as example if a Saturday will be fine and we know the following Sunday there will be bad weather).
Please note: there is a maximum of 6 people allowed in the class and a minimum of 4 students needed to run the program.
If you have any questions beyond what is listed above, please contact Giorgio Caramanna at firstname.lastname@example.org.